Your gear will get grimy over time and start to build up a residue of sweat & grease from your body. While you don't want to wash your down gear every day, washing it as required is not something you should be afraid of and will improve the performance of your item.
What you need:
- Nikwax Down Wash or a non biological soap
- Front loading washing machine - DO NOT wash your down gear in a top loader. Alternatively you can gently hand wash
- A tumble dryer and tennis ball or a flat spot you can use for 24 to 48 hours.
- Nerves of steel - your down item will look flat, useless and a bit ruined when it is wet, kia kaha
- Close zips on the item
- Ensure your machine is free of all previous soap residues
- Add ONE down item to the machine
- Add your non-biological soap as per manufacturers instructions
- Run a 30C cycle with a gentle spin cycle
- Steel yourself and remove the item from the machine
- Tumble dry each down item individually on a low heat with a tennis ball to help increase the loft & reduce dry time OR
- Place the item on a flat spot and leave for 24 to 48 hours depending on drying conditions. Periodically 'fluff' the jacket to break up any down clumps, increase loft and aid drying.
Things NOT to do
- DO NOT wring your jacket when it is wet, you risk damaging it
- DO NOT wear it wet. It will end up smelly, it will be cold until it dries. And you'll be cold & smelly too.
- DO NOT dry clean, the chemicals are bad for the down
- DO NOT use a top loader, it will inflict damage on your jacket
- DO NOT use biological soap, it will damage the down.
If you have any specific questions or concerns contact us and we'll do our best to help.